Select a specific HELP topic:
Finding & Downloading Assets
Update User Profile
Forgot My Username/Password
Click here to log in
The Astronaut Wives Club
Back in the Game
Last Man Standing
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Nashville: On the Record
Once Upon a Time
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland
Super Fun Night
America's Funniest Home Videos
Bachelor in Paradise
Bet On Your Baby
Celebrity Wife Swap
Dancing with the Stars
Extreme Weight Loss
Sing Your Face Off
ABC World News with David Muir
ABC World News with Diane Sawyer
ABC News Now
ABC's The Lookout
America This Morning
Good Afternoon America
Good Morning America
Good Morning America: Weekend Edition
News Correspondents and Reporters
This Week with
What Would You Do?
World News Now
Would You Fall For That?
Jimmy Kimmel Live
The Ten Commandments (4/19)
Hallmark Hall of Fame: In My Dreams (4/20)
It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown & Charlie Brown All Stars (4/20)
Barbara Walters: Her Story (5/16)
Despicable Me (4/26)
Other Press Sites
DATG Press Sites
Disney|ABC Television Group
Disney|ABC Domestic Television
ESPN / ABC Sports Press Site
Request a specific photo or video clip:
Video Clip Request
Tuesday, December 23, 2003
ABC Television Network
PRESS RELEASE - PRESS RELEASE - ENTERTAINMENT -
WEEKLY PRIMETIME RATINGS
: To use this function, upgrade your browser:
Primetime Ratings Report
For the week of December 15-21, 2003
ABC News Broadcasts the Top 5 News Programs of the Week in Adults 18-49
"Monday Night Football" Attracts its Third-Largest Audience this Season and Qualifies
As the Second-Highest-Rated TV Program of the Week across the Adult Demographics
Diane Sawyer's Tuesday Interview with President Bush on "Primetime" Earns
Higher Numbers than His Most Recent Broadcast Interviews on Either NBC or CBS
"According to Jim" is Once Again the Top Comedy on Tuesday,
Outdrawing the 5 Other Network Comedies on the Night
"Line of Fire" Ranks as the No. 1 Drama on Tuesday in Men 25-54,
Topping the Four other Dramas on CBS and NBC during the Evening
"Barbara Walters Presents: The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2003"
Wins Wednesday at 9pm and Posts Gains over Last Year's Telecast
"Primetime Special Edition - Oprah in Africa: A Personal Journey, a Global Challenge" is
ABC's Second-Highest-Rated News Broadcast of the Season in Viewers and Adults 25-54
"Life with Bonnie" Exhibits its Strongest Retention Ever
Of its "Hope & Faith" Adult 18-49 Lead-in
ABC's "20/20" is the Most-Watched TV Program Friday at 10pm for 5 Straight Weeks
WEEK No. 13:
Rankings: "Monday Night Football" ranked as the No. 2 television program of the week across the Adult demographics: Adults 18-34, Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54. "MNF" was also the No. 1 TV program of the week across the Men demographics: Men 18-34, Men 18-49 and Men 25-54. ABC News claimed the Top 5 news broadcasts of the week in Adults 18-49: No. 1 "Primetime Special-Oprah Winfrey" on Wednesday, No. 2 "Barbara Walters Presents: The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2003," No. 3 "Primetime Special-George Bush Interview" on Tuesday, No. 4 "20/20" and No. 5 "Primetime Thursday." The special edition of "Primetime" on Wednesday, featuring Oprah Winfrey, was also the most-watched news program of the week.
ABC ranked as the No. 1 network on Monday night among Adults 18-49 (5.4/15), beating CBS (5.1/13). In addition, ABC won the night among Adults 18-34 (4.4/14) and across each of the Men demographics: Men 18-34 (5.7/19), Men 18-49 (7.2/21) and Men 25-54 (8.3/21).
* ABC drew its largest audience (14.5 million) and highest Adults 18-49 rating (5.4/15) on the night in 5 weeks - since 11/10/03.
NFL "Monday Night Football: Philadelphia at Miami" (9:07 p.m. - 12:18 a.m.)
ABC's NFL "Monday Night Football," featuring Philadelphia Eagles against Miami Dolphins, attracted an average audience of 18.8 million viewers and earned a 7.5 rating, 21 share among Adults 18-49. The match-up drew the "Monday Night Football" franchise's third-largest audience this season.
* "Monday Night Football" stood as the No. 1 television program of the night across the Adult demographics: Adults 18-34 (6.2/19), Adults 18-49 (7.5/21) and Adults 25-54 (8.3/21).
* Versus the comparable game last year (New England-Tennessee on 12/16/02), the Philadelphia-Miami contest was up by 2 million viewers (18.8 million vs. 16.8 million) and by 12% in Adults 18-49 (7.5/21 vs. 6.7/19).
* From 10:00-11:00 p.m., "Monday Night Football" was the top draw in the hour in both Total Viewers (19.5 million) and Adults 18-49 (7.7/20), beating CBS' original "CSI: Miami" (19.2 million & 6.3/16). "Monday Night Football" beat "CSI: Miami" by 22% in Adults 18-49, its largest advantage over an original episode of the CBS drama in 8 weeks - since 10/20/03.
"Primetime Special" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
ABC News' Diane Sawyer interview with President George W. Bush at the White House on a special edition of "Primetime" attracted an average audience of 11.0 million viewers and earned a 3.3 rating, 10 share among Adults 18-49. The "Primetime" special gained audience (10.7 million to 11.3 million) throughout its broadcast, despite facing increased competition at 8:30 p.m. from Fox's "The Simple Life."
* Diane Sawyer's sit-down with President Bush on "Primetime" drew a larger audience and higher Adult 18-49 rating than his most recent broadcast interviews on either NBC or CBS: NBC's Tom Brokaw interview post-Iraq War on "Dateline" (8.8 million & 2.6/8 on 4/25/03) and CBS' Scott Pelly interview on the anniversary of 9/11 on "60 Minutes II" (9.6 million & 3.0/9 on 9/11/02).
"According to Jim" (9:00-9:31 p.m.)
Coming out of an atypical news lead-in, a repeat episode of "According to Jim" recruited young adult audience for ABC at 9:00 p.m., as it built by 18% among Adults 18-49 on its lead-in program (3.9/10 vs. 3.3/10). "According to Jim" ranked as the No. 1 program in its time period among Total Viewers (10.0 million - tie). "Jim" ranked a solid second in Adults 18-49 in the half-hour, just behind Fox's original "24," which had the advantage of "The Simple Life" as a lead-in. "24" was unable to capitalize on its young adult lead-in, as it lost -31% of the Adults 18-49 that watched "The Simple Life" (4.2/11 vs. 6.1/17).
* "According to Jim" was once again the No. 1 comedy on Tuesday in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49, ahead of the 5 othernetwork comedies on the night: NBC's "Tracy Morgan," "Whoopi," "Frasier" and "Happy Family," and Fox's "That '70s Show" (tied in Ad 18-49).
"Less than Perfect" (9:31-10:00 p.m.)
With its best young adult audience retention of the season (92%), "Less than Perfect" topped NBC's "Happy Family" in Total Viewers (8.9 million vs. 7.9 million) and Adults 18-49 (3.6/9 vs. 3.1/8).
"Line of Fire" (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
ABC's "Line of Fire" beat CBS' established drama in the hour, "Judging Amy," across each of the Men demographics: Men 18-34 (1.7/5 vs. 1.6/5), Men 18-49 (2.8/8 vs. 2.1/6) and Men 25-54 (3.6/9 vs. 2.4/6).
* "Line of Fire" ranked as the No. 1 drama on Tuesday night in Men 25-54, topping CBS' "Navy NCIS," "The Guardian" and "Judging Amy," as well as NBC's "Law & Order: SVU."
* Like its first two broadcasts, "Line of Fire" held its adult audience share from its first half-hour to its second half-hour: Adults 18-49 (8 share) and Adults 25-54 (9 share).
ABC qualified as the most-watched network on Wednesday night (11.9 million). With strong numbers from its 9:00-11:00 p.m. news specials, ABC also held the No. 1 position on the night in the Adults 25-54 news demographic (4.6/12).
ABC Comedies (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
Exhibiting strong audience retention in the time period, ABC's Wednesday comedies earned second in their respective half-hours in Adults 18-49 ("My Wife and Kids" - 3.4/11 & "It's All Relative" - 3.1/9).
* Opposite the young adult draw of Fox's special airing of "The Simple Life" at 8:30 p.m., "It's All Relative" retained and impressive 91% of its Adult 18-49 lead-in (3.1/9 vs. 3.4/11) and 100% of its Adults 18-34 lead (2.6/8 vs. 2.6/9) from "My Wife and Kids."
"Barbara Walters Presents: The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2003" (9:00-10:01 p.m.)
At 9:00 p.m., "Barbara Walters Presents: The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2003" won its time period among Total Viewers (13.1 million), Adults 18-49 (4.1/11) and Adults 25-54 (4.9/12). The ABC News special gained audience throughout its broadcast, growing by nearly 1 million viewers from start to finish (12.6 million to 13.5 million).
* "Barbara Walters Presents: The 10 Most Fascinating People" was up from its 2002 broadcast among Total Viewers (13.1 million vs. 12.4 million) and in Adults 25-54 (4.9/12 vs. 4.7/11).
"Primetime Special Edition: Oprah in Africa - A Personal Journey, a Global Challenge" (10:01-11:00 p.m.)
Building on its lead-in among viewers and adults, "Primetime Special Edition - Oprah in Africa: A Personal Journey, a Global Challenge," anchored by Diane Sawyer, placed first in its time period and was the No. 1 program on Wednesday night among Women 18-49 (6.0/16 - tie) and Women 25-54 (7.7/19).
* In the Adult 25-54 news demographic (5.4/14), "Primetime Special Edition" with Oprah qualifies as ABC's second-highest-rated news telecast of the season, behind only Diane Sawyer's record-setting interview with Jessica Lynch in November (11/11/03). Additionally, the program ranks as ABC's second-most-watched news broadcast of the season, behind only Jessica Lynch and tying Barbara Walters' interview with Martha Stewart on 11/7/03.
* The ABC news special towered over CBS' regularly scheduled newsmagazine in the hour in viewers and young adults. "Primetime" beat "48 Hours" by almost 7 million viewers (13.9 million vs. 7.1 million) and by 68% in Adults 18-49 (4.2/12 vs. 2.5/7).
ABC earned second place on Friday night among Adults 18-49 (2.7/9) with an all repeat "T.G.I.F." comedy block and "20/20" at the end of the night.
"George Lopez" (8:00-8:30 p.m.)
A rebroadcast of "George Lopez" finished in a virtual tie for first placed in its half-hour among Adults 18-49 (2.3/8 vs. 2.4/9) with NBC's original "Dateline".
"Married to the Kellys" (8:30-9:00 p.m.
Retaining 91% of its Adults 18-49 lead-in, a repeat "Married to the Kellys" placed second in its half-hour in the key sales demographic (2.1/7).
"Hope & Faith" (9:00-9:30 p.m.)
Building on its young adult lead-in by 29%, an encore airing of "Hope & Faith" took second in its time-slot among Adults 18-49 (2.7/9), while ranking No. 1 in the half-hour in all key Women demographics: Women 18-34 (2.8/11 - tie), Women 18-49 (3.5/11) and Women 25-54 (3.8/11).
"Life with Bonnie" (9:30-10:00 p.m.)
A repeat "Life with Bonnie" delivered a 2.5 rating, 8 share in its time period among Adults 18-49, posting a best-ever 93% retention from its "Hope & Faith" lead-in.
"20/20" (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
Featuring an exclusive Barbara Walters interview with Michael Jackson's brothers, Jermaine and Jackie Jackson, "20/20" won its hour among Total Viewers (9.6 million). In fact, "20/20" has made ABC the most watched network in the hour for 6 out of the last 7 weeks, including each of the last five weeks.
* "20/20" ranked as the No. 1 TV program on Friday night in the Adult 25-54 news demographic (4.1/12).
* Compared to the previous week's edition that featured an interview with Michael Jackson's parents, Joe and Katherine Jackson, this week's "20/20" was up in Total Viewers (9.6 million vs. 9.4 million), Adults 18-49 (3.3/11 vs. 2.9/9) and Adults 25-54 (4.1/12 vs. 3.6/10).
Jeff Lindsey (818) 460-5095
Pons Rongavilla (818) 460-5615
Susan Sewell (212) 456-1508
© 2014 American Broadcasting Companies, Inc.
All rights reserved.