Select a specific HELP topic:
Finding & Downloading Assets
Update User Profile
Forgot My Username/Password
Click here to log in
ABC HALLOWEEN SPOOKTACULAR
Once Upon a Time Premiere Event (9/21)
The Astronaut Wives Club
Fresh Off The Boat
How to Get Away with Murder
Last Man Standing
Manhattan Love Story
Marvel's Agent Carter
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Once Upon a Time
Secrets and Lies
America's Funniest Home Videos
Bachelor in Paradise
Dancing with the Stars
Dancing with the Stars: The Results
The Great Christmas Light Fight
ABC World News Tonight with David Muir
ABC World News Tonight Saturday and Sunday
America This Morning
Good Morning America
Good Morning America: Weekend Edition
News Correspondents and Reporters
This Week with
What Would You Do?
World News Now
Jimmy Kimmel Live
Toy Story of TERROR! (10/15)
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (10/30)
The 48th Annual CMA Awards (11/5)
Toy Story That Time Forgot (12/2)
The Great Halloween Fright Fight (10/28)
CMA Country Christmas (12/1)
Other Press Sites
DATG Press Sites
Disney|ABC Television Group
ESPN / ABC Sports Press Site
Request a specific photo or video clip:
Video Clip Request
Tuesday, September 30, 2003
ABC Television Network
PRESS RELEASE - PRESS RELEASE - ENTERTAINMENT -
WEEKLY PRIMETIME RATINGS as ( Part 1 of 2 )
: To use this function, upgrade your browser:
Primetime Ratings Report September 30, 2003
For the week of September 22-28, 2003
As ( Part 1 of 2 ) ABC Posts Across-the-board Increases During Premiere Week, Qualifying as
The only Broadcaster to Grow in Young Adults over the Same Week Last Year
ABC's is Nearly 1 Year Younger than Premiere Week Last Year,
While CBS' Audience Ages by 3.8 Years over Last Year
ABC Claims the No. 1 Adult 18-49 Program on 4 of 7 Nights,
And the No. 1 Adult 18-34 Program on 6 of 7 Nights during Premiere Week
The Series Debut of "I'm with Her" Leads Tuesday at 8:30pm in Adults 18-49,
Bringing ABC Strong Time Period Improvement in Viewers and Young Adults
"According to Jim" is No. 1 Tuesday at 9:00pm in Adults 18-49, Becoming the
First Program in 6 Years to Defeat the Season Premiere of NBC's "Frasier"
"Less than Perfect" Opens with its Highest Numbers in 9 Months
"My Wife and Kids" Overshadows its Wednesday 8-9pm Competition,
Boosting ABC to its Best Results in the Time Period in 7 Months
WEEK No. 1:
During the first week of the season, ABC was up across the board over premiere week last year: Total Viewers +7% (10.6 million vs. 9.9 million), Adults 18-49 +8% (4.1/12 vs. 3.8/10), Adults 18-34 +6% (3.4/11 vs. 3.2/10), Teens 12-17 +26% (2.4/10 vs. 1.9/7) and Kids 2-11 +15% (1.5/7 vs. 1.3/6).
Boosted by strong starts for its comedies, ABC was the only broadcaster to show gains over last year in Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34 and Teens 12-17. In the key Adult 18-49 demographic, CBS was down -15% (3.9/11 vs. 4.6/13), NBC -6% (5.1/14 vs. 5.4/15), Fox -13% (2.7/7 vs. 3.1/9), WB -21% (1.5/4 vs. 1.9/5) and UPN -17% (1.5/4 vs. 1.3/6). ABC took second place on the first week of the season among Adults 18-49, moving ahead of CBS and up from third place on the premiere week last year.
* ABC was the youngest of the Big 3 networks during the first week of the season (ABC=43.9 years, CBS=53.9 years and NBC=45.0 years). ABC was nearly 1 year younger than last year, while CBS aged by 3.8 years from a year ago (last year w/o 9/23/02: ABC=44.8 years, CBS=50.1 years and NBC=45.1).
* ABC claimed the No. 1 Adult 18-49 program on 4 of 7 nights (Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday) during the week and the No. 1 Adult 18-34 program of the evening on 6 of 7 nights (every night except Thursday).
Rankings: ABC broadcast 6 of the Top 20 television programs for the week among Adults 18-49. The Net claimed 10 of the Top 30 television shows during the week in the key sales demo, the most ABC programs in the Top 30 in nearly 2 years - since the week of 10/1/01: "NFL Monday Night Football" and "8 Simple Rules" tied - No. 8, "The Bachelor" - No. 13, "My Wife and Kids" - No. 16, "I'm with Her" - No. 17, "According to Jim" - No. 19, "Hope & Faith" - No. 24, "Alias" - No. 28, "The Practice" and "Less than Perfect" tied. "Monday Night Football" was the No. 1 program of the week among Men 18-49 and Men 25-54. ABC News' "20/20" was the No. 1 newsmagazine of the week in Adults 18-49.
Against season premieres on the other networks, ABC took second place on the night in Total Viewers (14.3 million) and Adults 18-49 (5.5/15), beating NBC in viewers and CBS among young adults. ABC won primetime across each of the key Men demographics: Men 18-34 (6.0/20), Men 18-49 (7.5/21) and Men 25-54 (8.4/21).
NFL "Monday Night Football: Oakland Raiders at Denver Broncos" (9:07 p.m.-12:07 a.m.)
ABC's NFL "Monday Night Football," featuring Oakland at Denver, attracted an average audience of 17.3 million viewers and earned a 7.0 rating, 19 share among Adults 18-49. The strong football numbers become even more impressive given the fact that the game competed against season premiere programming on CBS and NBC, and more importantly the football game was a blow-out. Denver led 24-0 at halftime and was still leading 31-0 with about six minutes left in the third quarter. The final score was 31-10.
* "Monday Night Football" ranked as the No. 1 program on Monday night among Adults 18-49 (7.0/19) and Adults 18-34 (6.0/18). In fact, "MNF" has ranked as the No. 1 Monday night program among Adults 18-34 on each of its last 26 broadcasts - since 11/19/01.
* In the final hour of primetime, ABC dominated the premieres of NBC's "Las Vegas" and CBS' "CSI: Miami" by substantial margins in viewers and young adults. From 10:00-11:00 p.m. with the game, ABC (18.4 million & 7.6/20) topped NBC's series debut of "Las Vegas" by 6.1 million viewers and by 52% in Adults 18-49 (12.3 million & 5.0/13), and CBS' second season premiere of "CSI: Miami" by 1 million viewers and by 29% in Adults 18-49 (17.4 million & 5.9/15).
With its season premiere lineup ABC won the first Tuesday of the 2003-04 television season in the key Adult 18-49 demographic, 11% ahead of second-place NBC (5.0/13 vs. 4.5/12).
* Compared to its delivery on the first Tuesday of last season, AB was up 8% in Total Viewers (11.9 million vs. 11.0 million) and 14% among Adults 18-49 (5.0/13 vs. 4.4/12). ABC delivered its best numbers on the night since October of last year - since 10/29/02.
"8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter" (8:00-8:30 p.m.)
At 8:00 p.m., the second season premiere of "8 Simple Rules" led off ABC's night with 17.0 million viewers and a 7.0 rating, 21 share among Adults 18-49.
"I'm with Her" (8:30-9:00 p.m.)
ABC's "I'm with Her" got off to a strong start in its series debut, winning its half-hour among Adults 18-49. "I'm with Her" bested NBC's comedy, "Happy Family," in the half-hour by 4 million viewers (13.2 million vs. 9.2 million) and by 78% among Adults 18-49 (5.7/16 vs. 3.2/9).
* The debut of "I'm with Her" improved ABC's performance in the half-hour over the same night last year by 17% in Total Viewers and by 27% in Adults 18-49 (11.3 million & 4.5/12). In addition, the series debut boosted the Net to its best ratings with entertainment programming in the half-hour in 9 months - since 12/10/02.
"According to Jim" (9:00-9:30 p.m.)
In its third season premiere, "According to Jim" held on to nearly all of its lead-in to win its time period in Adults 18-49, and became the first program in 6 years to beat a season premiere episode (9:00-9:30 p.m.) of NBC's "Frasier" (5.4/14 vs. 5.0/13) - since ABC's "Home Improvement" did so in September of 1997. Note: Although "Frasier" was rated as a 1-hour telecast, it was two separate episodes.
* "Jim" produced ABC's largest audience (12.0 million) in the half-hour in 1 year (since 9/17/02) and the Net's top non-sports 18-49 rating in the time slot in 2 years (since 9/25/01). In addition, "According to Jim" was up from its year-ago season opener by 4% among Adults 18-49 (5.2/14).
"Less than Perfect" (9:30-10:00 p.m.)
The second season premiere of "Less than Perfect" earned a solid second place among Adults 18-49 in its half-hour, behind only NBC's second episode of "Frasier." Note: This Tuesday, "Less than Perfect" faces its regular comedy competition in the time period, NBC's "Good Morning, Miami," which it has beaten in both of their recent head-to-head meetings (9/2 & 9/9/03).
* Opposite the second half of "Frasier," "Less than Perfect" produced the comedy's largest audience (8.9 million) and best Adult 18-49 rating (4.0/10) in more than 9 months - since 12/10/02.
"NYPD Blue" (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
From 10:00-11:00 p.m., the season premiere of "NYPD Blue" beat the season premiere of CBS' "Judging Amy" by 27% among Adults 18-49 (3.8/10 vs. 3.0/8).
ABC finished in a virtual tie for first place on Wednesday night with NBC among Adults 18-49 (5.9/16 vs. 6.0/16). Finishing within one-tenth of a rating point of the No. 1 position among Adults 18-49, ABC turned in its most competitive performance on the opening Wednesday night of a season in 7 years - since 9/25/96. With the season premieres of "My Wife and Kids" and "The Bachelor," the Network also led the night among Adults 18-34, Teens 12-17 (3.8/15) and Kids 2-11 (1.8/9). In fact among Adults 18-34, ABC won each half-hour of the night, topping its nearest competition during prime by 26% (5.8/18 vs. 4.6/14 - NBC). ABC claimed the Top 2 programs of the night among Adults 18-34 and Teens 12-17 with "My Wife and Kids" and "The Bachelor," respectively.
* Compared to season premiere Wednesday last year, ABC was up by 2.4 million viewers (12.9 million vs. 10.5 million) and by 31% among Adults 18-49 (5.9/16 vs. 4.5/12). On both counts, ABC made the largest gains among the 6 broadcast networks over the same night a year ago. ABC logged its best performance on the night in 7 months - since 2/19/03.
"My Wife and Kids" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
The 1-hour season opener of "My Wife and Kids" dominated its time period, leading its closest competition (NBC's "Ed" by nearly 3 million viewers (13.6 million vs. 10.7 million) and by 41% in Adults 18-49 (5.8/17 vs. 4.1/12).
* "My Wife and Kids" generated the Network's best viewer and young adult numbers in the hour in 7 months - since 2/19/03, when the season finale of "The Bachelorette" aired in the hour. The Damon Wayans comedy marked its most-watched episode since last October (10/23/02) and its best Adult 18-49 rating since last September (9/25/02). "My Wife and Kids" logged its highest rating ever among Women 18-34 (8.1/24).
"The Bachelor" (9:00-11:00 p.m.)
The season premiere of "The Bachelor" won its 2-hour time slot among Adults 18-34, beating NBC's season premieres of "West Wing" and "Law & Order" by 12% on average (5.8/17 vs. 5.2/15). The program placed a solid second in the time period among Total Viewers and Adults 18-49 opposite the NBC premieres.
* "The Bachelor" opened to its largest audience (12.5 million) and highest Adult 18-49 rating (6.0/16) yet: "The Bachelor" with Alex (9.9 million & 4.0/9), "The Bachelor" with Aaron (11.0 million & 4.9/12) and "The Bachelor" with Andrew (10.2 million & 5.0/12).
* Against the season premiere of "Law & Order" from 10:00-11:00 p.m., after the show actually introduced the 25 women to Bob Guiney, "The Bachelor's" audience surged by 2.5 million viewers (11.3 million to 13.8 million) and 20% among Adults 18-49 (5.5/14 to 6.6/18) over its first hour (9:00-10:00 p.m.).
Jeff Lindsey (818) 460-5095 / Pons Rongavilla (818) 460-5615 / Susan Sewell (212) 456-1508
© 2014 American Broadcasting Companies, Inc.
All rights reserved.