Select a specific HELP topic:
Finding & Downloading Assets
Update User Profile
Forgot My Username/Password
Click here to log in
Winter Press Tour 2015 (1/14)
The Astronaut Wives Club
Fresh Off The Boat
How to Get Away with Murder
Last Man Standing
Manhattan Love Story
Marvel's Agent Carter
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Once Upon a Time
Secrets and Lies
America's Funniest Home Videos
Bachelor in Paradise
Dancing with the Stars
Dancing with the Stars: The Results
The Great Christmas Light Fight
Repeat After Me
ABC World News Tonight with David Muir
ABC World News Tonight Saturday and Sunday
America This Morning
Good Morning America
Good Morning America: Weekend Edition
News Correspondents and Reporters
This Week with
What Would You Do?
World News Now
Jimmy Kimmel Live
Other Press Sites
DATG Press Sites
Disney|ABC Television Group
ESPN / ABC Sports Press Site
Request a specific photo or video clip:
Video Clip Request
Tuesday, September 30, 2003
ABC Television Network
PRESS RELEASE - PRESS RELEASE - ENTERTAINMENT -
WEEKLY PRIMETIME RATINGS as ( Part 1 of 2 )
: To use this function, upgrade your browser:
Primetime Ratings Report September 30, 2003
For the week of September 22-28, 2003
As ( Part 1 of 2 ) ABC Posts Across-the-board Increases During Premiere Week, Qualifying as
The only Broadcaster to Grow in Young Adults over the Same Week Last Year
ABC's is Nearly 1 Year Younger than Premiere Week Last Year,
While CBS' Audience Ages by 3.8 Years over Last Year
ABC Claims the No. 1 Adult 18-49 Program on 4 of 7 Nights,
And the No. 1 Adult 18-34 Program on 6 of 7 Nights during Premiere Week
The Series Debut of "I'm with Her" Leads Tuesday at 8:30pm in Adults 18-49,
Bringing ABC Strong Time Period Improvement in Viewers and Young Adults
"According to Jim" is No. 1 Tuesday at 9:00pm in Adults 18-49, Becoming the
First Program in 6 Years to Defeat the Season Premiere of NBC's "Frasier"
"Less than Perfect" Opens with its Highest Numbers in 9 Months
"My Wife and Kids" Overshadows its Wednesday 8-9pm Competition,
Boosting ABC to its Best Results in the Time Period in 7 Months
WEEK No. 1:
During the first week of the season, ABC was up across the board over premiere week last year: Total Viewers +7% (10.6 million vs. 9.9 million), Adults 18-49 +8% (4.1/12 vs. 3.8/10), Adults 18-34 +6% (3.4/11 vs. 3.2/10), Teens 12-17 +26% (2.4/10 vs. 1.9/7) and Kids 2-11 +15% (1.5/7 vs. 1.3/6).
Boosted by strong starts for its comedies, ABC was the only broadcaster to show gains over last year in Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34 and Teens 12-17. In the key Adult 18-49 demographic, CBS was down -15% (3.9/11 vs. 4.6/13), NBC -6% (5.1/14 vs. 5.4/15), Fox -13% (2.7/7 vs. 3.1/9), WB -21% (1.5/4 vs. 1.9/5) and UPN -17% (1.5/4 vs. 1.3/6). ABC took second place on the first week of the season among Adults 18-49, moving ahead of CBS and up from third place on the premiere week last year.
* ABC was the youngest of the Big 3 networks during the first week of the season (ABC=43.9 years, CBS=53.9 years and NBC=45.0 years). ABC was nearly 1 year younger than last year, while CBS aged by 3.8 years from a year ago (last year w/o 9/23/02: ABC=44.8 years, CBS=50.1 years and NBC=45.1).
* ABC claimed the No. 1 Adult 18-49 program on 4 of 7 nights (Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday) during the week and the No. 1 Adult 18-34 program of the evening on 6 of 7 nights (every night except Thursday).
Rankings: ABC broadcast 6 of the Top 20 television programs for the week among Adults 18-49. The Net claimed 10 of the Top 30 television shows during the week in the key sales demo, the most ABC programs in the Top 30 in nearly 2 years - since the week of 10/1/01: "NFL Monday Night Football" and "8 Simple Rules" tied - No. 8, "The Bachelor" - No. 13, "My Wife and Kids" - No. 16, "I'm with Her" - No. 17, "According to Jim" - No. 19, "Hope & Faith" - No. 24, "Alias" - No. 28, "The Practice" and "Less than Perfect" tied. "Monday Night Football" was the No. 1 program of the week among Men 18-49 and Men 25-54. ABC News' "20/20" was the No. 1 newsmagazine of the week in Adults 18-49.
Against season premieres on the other networks, ABC took second place on the night in Total Viewers (14.3 million) and Adults 18-49 (5.5/15), beating NBC in viewers and CBS among young adults. ABC won primetime across each of the key Men demographics: Men 18-34 (6.0/20), Men 18-49 (7.5/21) and Men 25-54 (8.4/21).
NFL "Monday Night Football: Oakland Raiders at Denver Broncos" (9:07 p.m.-12:07 a.m.)
ABC's NFL "Monday Night Football," featuring Oakland at Denver, attracted an average audience of 17.3 million viewers and earned a 7.0 rating, 19 share among Adults 18-49. The strong football numbers become even more impressive given the fact that the game competed against season premiere programming on CBS and NBC, and more importantly the football game was a blow-out. Denver led 24-0 at halftime and was still leading 31-0 with about six minutes left in the third quarter. The final score was 31-10.
* "Monday Night Football" ranked as the No. 1 program on Monday night among Adults 18-49 (7.0/19) and Adults 18-34 (6.0/18). In fact, "MNF" has ranked as the No. 1 Monday night program among Adults 18-34 on each of its last 26 broadcasts - since 11/19/01.
* In the final hour of primetime, ABC dominated the premieres of NBC's "Las Vegas" and CBS' "CSI: Miami" by substantial margins in viewers and young adults. From 10:00-11:00 p.m. with the game, ABC (18.4 million & 7.6/20) topped NBC's series debut of "Las Vegas" by 6.1 million viewers and by 52% in Adults 18-49 (12.3 million & 5.0/13), and CBS' second season premiere of "CSI: Miami" by 1 million viewers and by 29% in Adults 18-49 (17.4 million & 5.9/15).
With its season premiere lineup ABC won the first Tuesday of the 2003-04 television season in the key Adult 18-49 demographic, 11% ahead of second-place NBC (5.0/13 vs. 4.5/12).
* Compared to its delivery on the first Tuesday of last season, AB was up 8% in Total Viewers (11.9 million vs. 11.0 million) and 14% among Adults 18-49 (5.0/13 vs. 4.4/12). ABC delivered its best numbers on the night since October of last year - since 10/29/02.
"8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter" (8:00-8:30 p.m.)
At 8:00 p.m., the second season premiere of "8 Simple Rules" led off ABC's night with 17.0 million viewers and a 7.0 rating, 21 share among Adults 18-49.
"I'm with Her" (8:30-9:00 p.m.)
ABC's "I'm with Her" got off to a strong start in its series debut, winning its half-hour among Adults 18-49. "I'm with Her" bested NBC's comedy, "Happy Family," in the half-hour by 4 million viewers (13.2 million vs. 9.2 million) and by 78% among Adults 18-49 (5.7/16 vs. 3.2/9).
* The debut of "I'm with Her" improved ABC's performance in the half-hour over the same night last year by 17% in Total Viewers and by 27% in Adults 18-49 (11.3 million & 4.5/12). In addition, the series debut boosted the Net to its best ratings with entertainment programming in the half-hour in 9 months - since 12/10/02.
"According to Jim" (9:00-9:30 p.m.)
In its third season premiere, "According to Jim" held on to nearly all of its lead-in to win its time period in Adults 18-49, and became the first program in 6 years to beat a season premiere episode (9:00-9:30 p.m.) of NBC's "Frasier" (5.4/14 vs. 5.0/13) - since ABC's "Home Improvement" did so in September of 1997. Note: Although "Frasier" was rated as a 1-hour telecast, it was two separate episodes.
* "Jim" produced ABC's largest audience (12.0 million) in the half-hour in 1 year (since 9/17/02) and the Net's top non-sports 18-49 rating in the time slot in 2 years (since 9/25/01). In addition, "According to Jim" was up from its year-ago season opener by 4% among Adults 18-49 (5.2/14).
"Less than Perfect" (9:30-10:00 p.m.)
The second season premiere of "Less than Perfect" earned a solid second place among Adults 18-49 in its half-hour, behind only NBC's second episode of "Frasier." Note: This Tuesday, "Less than Perfect" faces its regular comedy competition in the time period, NBC's "Good Morning, Miami," which it has beaten in both of their recent head-to-head meetings (9/2 & 9/9/03).
* Opposite the second half of "Frasier," "Less than Perfect" produced the comedy's largest audience (8.9 million) and best Adult 18-49 rating (4.0/10) in more than 9 months - since 12/10/02.
"NYPD Blue" (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
From 10:00-11:00 p.m., the season premiere of "NYPD Blue" beat the season premiere of CBS' "Judging Amy" by 27% among Adults 18-49 (3.8/10 vs. 3.0/8).
ABC finished in a virtual tie for first place on Wednesday night with NBC among Adults 18-49 (5.9/16 vs. 6.0/16). Finishing within one-tenth of a rating point of the No. 1 position among Adults 18-49, ABC turned in its most competitive performance on the opening Wednesday night of a season in 7 years - since 9/25/96. With the season premieres of "My Wife and Kids" and "The Bachelor," the Network also led the night among Adults 18-34, Teens 12-17 (3.8/15) and Kids 2-11 (1.8/9). In fact among Adults 18-34, ABC won each half-hour of the night, topping its nearest competition during prime by 26% (5.8/18 vs. 4.6/14 - NBC). ABC claimed the Top 2 programs of the night among Adults 18-34 and Teens 12-17 with "My Wife and Kids" and "The Bachelor," respectively.
* Compared to season premiere Wednesday last year, ABC was up by 2.4 million viewers (12.9 million vs. 10.5 million) and by 31% among Adults 18-49 (5.9/16 vs. 4.5/12). On both counts, ABC made the largest gains among the 6 broadcast networks over the same night a year ago. ABC logged its best performance on the night in 7 months - since 2/19/03.
"My Wife and Kids" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
The 1-hour season opener of "My Wife and Kids" dominated its time period, leading its closest competition (NBC's "Ed" by nearly 3 million viewers (13.6 million vs. 10.7 million) and by 41% in Adults 18-49 (5.8/17 vs. 4.1/12).
* "My Wife and Kids" generated the Network's best viewer and young adult numbers in the hour in 7 months - since 2/19/03, when the season finale of "The Bachelorette" aired in the hour. The Damon Wayans comedy marked its most-watched episode since last October (10/23/02) and its best Adult 18-49 rating since last September (9/25/02). "My Wife and Kids" logged its highest rating ever among Women 18-34 (8.1/24).
"The Bachelor" (9:00-11:00 p.m.)
The season premiere of "The Bachelor" won its 2-hour time slot among Adults 18-34, beating NBC's season premieres of "West Wing" and "Law & Order" by 12% on average (5.8/17 vs. 5.2/15). The program placed a solid second in the time period among Total Viewers and Adults 18-49 opposite the NBC premieres.
* "The Bachelor" opened to its largest audience (12.5 million) and highest Adult 18-49 rating (6.0/16) yet: "The Bachelor" with Alex (9.9 million & 4.0/9), "The Bachelor" with Aaron (11.0 million & 4.9/12) and "The Bachelor" with Andrew (10.2 million & 5.0/12).
* Against the season premiere of "Law & Order" from 10:00-11:00 p.m., after the show actually introduced the 25 women to Bob Guiney, "The Bachelor's" audience surged by 2.5 million viewers (11.3 million to 13.8 million) and 20% among Adults 18-49 (5.5/14 to 6.6/18) over its first hour (9:00-10:00 p.m.).
Jeff Lindsey (818) 460-5095 / Pons Rongavilla (818) 460-5615 / Susan Sewell (212) 456-1508
© 2015 American Broadcasting Companies, Inc.
All rights reserved.