Select a specific HELP topic:
Finding & Downloading Assets
Update User Profile
Forgot My Username/Password
Click here to log in
The Astronaut Wives Club
Back in the Game
Last Man Standing
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Nashville: On the Record
Once Upon a Time
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland
Super Fun Night
America's Funniest Home Videos
Bachelor in Paradise
Bet On Your Baby
Celebrity Wife Swap
Dancing with the Stars
Extreme Weight Loss
Sing Your Face Off
ABC World News with David Muir
ABC World News with Diane Sawyer
ABC News Now
ABC's The Lookout
America This Morning
Good Afternoon America
Good Morning America
Good Morning America: Weekend Edition
News Correspondents and Reporters
This Week with
What Would You Do?
World News Now
Would You Fall For That?
Jimmy Kimmel Live
The Ten Commandments (4/19)
Hallmark Hall of Fame: In My Dreams (4/20)
It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown & Charlie Brown All Stars (4/20)
Barbara Walters: Her Story (5/16)
Despicable Me (4/26)
Other Press Sites
DATG Press Sites
Disney|ABC Television Group
Disney|ABC Domestic Television
ESPN / ABC Sports Press Site
Request a specific photo or video clip:
Video Clip Request
Thursday, May 27, 2010
ABC Television Network
PRESS RELEASE - PRESS RELEASE - ENTERTAINMENT -
ABC's 2010 May Sweep and 2009-10 TV Season highlights
: To use this function, upgrade your browser:
ABC's 2010 May Sweep and 2009-10 TV Season highlights
ABC Ranks No. 2 to Fox in May, Airing 5 of the Top 12 TV Series in Adults 18-49
ABC Finishes No. 1 on Sunday for the 6th Straight May Sweep
In Adults 18-49, and is No. 1 on Thursday for the 4th Year in a Row
ABC Claims 5 of TV's Top 15 Programs for the Season in Adults 18-49
The Net Airs 3 of the Season's Top 7 Freshman Shows in Adults 18-49,
Including the Top 2 New Sit-Coms and 2 of the Top 4 New Scripted Shows
ABC Tops with Upscale Adults 18-49, Airing 4 of TV's Top 10 Series and
3 of the Top 5 New Scripted Shows in "Modern Family," "Cougar Town" and "V"
2010 May Sweep (4/29-5/26/10 - 28 Nights Complete)
ABC finished No. 2 to an "Idol"-driven Fox in May 2010 among Adults 18-49 (2.7/8), its 2nd straight year to take second place for the month. The Net also earned a solid second during May in Adults 18-34 (2.2/7), defeating CBS by 29% (1.7/6) and NBC by 38% (1.6/5). The Net placed No. 1 for the month among key Women: W8-49 (3.4/10-tie) and W25-54 (4.2/11).
* ABC Wins Final Week of May: ABC won the final complete Nielsen week of the May Sweep/TV Season (w/o 5/17/10) among Adults 18-49 (2.9/9), beating Fox by 7% (2.7/9), CBS by 32% (2.2/7) and NBC by 53% (1.9/6). Excluding only "Academy Awards" and "Super Bowl" weeks, it represented the first-ever victory for ABC over Fox during a week with "American Idol." It was also first weekly win for any network in May over Fox in 5 years - since w/o 5/16/05.
* Top-Rated Nights in May: ABC ranked as the No. 1 network on Sunday during May in Adults 18-49, winning on 3 of 4 weeks. In fact it was ABC's 6th consecutive May to rank No. 1 on Sunday night in the key young adult sales demo (2005-2010). ABC also finished No. 1 on Thursday in Adults 18-49 for the 4th straight May Sweep (2007-2010). In addition, ABC registered as Monday's most-watched TV network overall during May, ranking No. 1 on the night with Viewers on each of the final 10 weeks this season.
* Highest-Rated Series in May: ABC aired 5 of the Top 12 TV series during May 2010 with Adults 18-49: "Grey's Anatomy" - No. 5, "Modern Family" - No. 7, "Lost" No. - 8, "Desperate Housewives" - No. 10 and "Dancing with the Stars" - No. 12. ABC's Dancing with the Stars" was the second-most-watched TV show of the month, while qualifying as the No. 1 regular show over both editions of "American Idol" on 6 of the last 8 Nielsen weeks of the 2009-10 TV Season.
2009-10 TV Season (9/21/09-5/26/10 - Complete)
Based on all programming, ABC ranked No. 2 to Fox this season among Adults 18-34 (2.2/7-tie) and Women 18-34 (2.8/8). Excluding sports from the averages to account for the boosts that came from sports packages on CBS (NFL Sunday overruns and Playoff Games/Super Bowl/NCAA Basketball Tournament), NBC (NFL "Sunday Night Football" and Playoff Games/Winter Olympics) and Fox (NFL Sunday overruns and Playoffs Games/MLB post-season baseball), ABC was on the heels of No. 2 Fox in Total Viewers (pacing within 350k viewers - 8.7 million vs. 9.0 million) and No. 2 CBS in Adults 18-49 (pacing within two-tenths of a rating point - 2.7/7 vs. 2.9/8) this season. Also in the non-sports numbers, ABC led NBC for the season by wide margins in both Total Viewers (+2.4 million - 8.7 million vs. 6.3 million) and Adults 18-49 (+29% - 2.7/7 vs. 2.1/6).
* ABC Outdraws a Sports-Fueled NBC for the Season, Even with the 17-Night Winter Olympics: Despite NBC's enormous boost to its season averages from 17 nights of Winter Olympics coverage in February and record-setting "Sunday Night Football" numbers, ABC topped NBC for the season by 5% in Total Viewers (8.6 million vs. 8.2 million) and also held the edge in Adult 18-49 actuals (3.54 million vs. 3.53 million).
* ABC is the No. 1 Net on Thursday, as "Grey's" is the No. 1 Show: ABC was the No. 1 network this season on Thursday night among Adults 18-49 (tied w/CBS). In fact, ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" stood as Thursday's No. 1 TV show in the key young adult sales demo for the 4th straight season.
* Season's Highest-Rated TV Series: ABC aired 5 of TV's Top 15 shows this season in Adults 18-49, including 2 of the Top 3 scripted shows: "Lost" and "Grey's Anatomy" are tied at No. 6 (tied as the No. 2 scripted series), "Desperate Housewives" - No. 10, "Dancing with the Stars" and "The Bachelor" are tied at No. 14. The Network claimed 4 of the Top 20 most-watched shows for the season: "Dancing with the Stars" - No. 3, "Dancing with the Stars the Results" - No. 10, "Housewives" - No. 13 and "Grey's" - No. 16. The Net delivered 4 of the Top 10 TV shows with Women 18-49, with "Grey's," "Housewives," "The Bachelor" and "DWTS."
* Top Freshman Series: ABC claimed 3 of the Top 7 new TV shows this season among Adults 18-49, including 2 of the Top 4 scripted freshman series and the Top 2 sit-coms: "Modern Family" - No. 3 (No. 1 new sit-com/No. 2 scripted), "V" - No. 5 (No. 4 scripted) and "Cougar Town" - No. 7 (No. 2 sit-com).
* ABC is a Top Draw with Upscale Young Adults: ABC stood as the No. 2 television network for the season among upscale young adults in the non-sports averages. ABC ranked as the second-highest-rated network among Adults 18-49 in homes with $100K+ Annual Income (3.23 rating), leading CBS by +10% (2.92) and NBC by +24% (2.59). Also in the non-sports averages, ABC was the No. 1 network based on concentration or index of upscale young adults in its audience (Index of 119-tie). In addition, ABC claimed 9 of the Top 25 (4 of the Top 10 - the most for any net) highest-rated regular TV series this season among high income young adults, including the No. 1 scripted show ("Lost") and 3 of the Top 5 scripted freshman series ("Modern Family," "Cougar Town" and "V"): "Lost" (7.95 rating) - No. 3 (No. 1 scripted), "Grey's Anatomy" (7.03) - No. 6 (No. 3 scripted), "The Bachelor" (7.01) - No. 7, "Desperate Housewives" (6.04) - No. 10, "Modern Family" (5.59) - No. 11, "Dancing with the Stars" (5.12) - No. 19, "V" (4.89) - No. 22, "Private Practice" (4.48) - No. 23 and "Brothers & Sisters" (4.43) - No. 25. ABC also qualified as the No. 2 highest-rated network this season in the non-sports numbers on two of Nielsen's other premium upscale measures, including Adults 18-49 with 4+ Years of College and Professionals or Managers earning $100K+ Annual Income. "Modern Family" tied as the No. 1 broadcast series for the season in terms of Annual Median Income for its Adult 18-49 audience, coming in at $78,000 (tied w/"Amazing Race," "30 Rock" and "The Office.") Reporting an Annual Median Income of $73,000 for their respective young adult audiences, ABC's "The Bachelor," "Lost," "Cougar Town," "Grey's," "Private Practice," "Housewives" and "Brothers & Sisters" all tied with the 2nd-highest incomes among broadcast series this season.
* ABC Series Among Most Popularly Recorded and Played Back: On average during primetime this season, ABC's numbers grew from the originally reported Live + Same Day averages to the finalized Live + 7 Day ratings by +9% in Total Viewers (7.9 million to 8.6 million), by +13% in Adults 18-49 (2.4/7 to 2.7/7) and by +16% in Adults 18-34 (1.9/6 to 2.2/7). In fact, ABC was the top percentage gainer via DVR among the major networks on all 3 Nielsen measures. The Net's series were among the most popularly recorded and played back. ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" remained TV's most-played-back show again this season. On average, "Grey's Anatomy" was the top gainer from the originally reported numbers (Live + Same Day) to the finalized DVR playback numbers (Live + 7 Day), generating an additional +2.8 million viewers (13.2 million to 16.0 million). With a significant rise in DVR penetration year to year (from 31% to 36%), the "Grey's" DVR bump was 4% higher than its average increase last season (+2.7 million viewers in 2008-09). The sixth-season ABC medical drama was also the biggest actual gainer overall in Adult 18-49 rating, picking up 1.4 rating points in the finalized numbers (+29%) - surging from a 4.8 rating to a 6.2 rating. A total of 10 of ABC's scripted series gained more than 1.0 million viewers on average from their originally reported numbers to the final DVR playback numbers, including "Grey's Anatomy" (+2.9 million - top gainer overall), "Lost" (+2.2 million), "Private Practice" (+1.9 million), "Castle" (+1.9 million), "V" (+1.8 million), "Modern Family" (+1.8 million), "Desperate Housewives" (+1.7 million), "FlashForward" (+1.6 million), "Brothers & Sisters" (+1.3 million) and "Cougar Town" (+1.1 million). Among Adults 18-49, 10 of ABC's scripted series also registered substantial ratings increases of half-a-rating point or more: "Grey's Anatomy" (+1.5 rating point - top gainer overall), "Lost" (+1.1 rating), "Private Practice" (+1.0 rating), "Modern Family" (+1.0 rating), "V" (+0.8 rating), "Desperate Housewives" (+0.8 rating), "FlashForward" (+0.8 rating), "Cougar Town" (+0.7 rating), "Castle" (+0.6 rating) and "Brothers & Sisters" (+0.5 rating).
Source: The Nielsen Company, National "Most Current" Program Ratings (9/21/09-5/26/10), or as dated. Upscale data based on regular non-sports programming. DVR Playback Live + 7 Day based on regular, original telecasts only, 9/21/09-5/9/10.
© 2014 American Broadcasting Companies, Inc.
All rights reserved.